From: Emily Wier <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Subject: Pio Pico EPA hearing - Tuesday Dec 17 6:30-8:30
Where: San Ysidro Middle School (4353 Otay Mesa Rd, San Diego 92173)
When: Tuesday December 17, 6:30-8:30 pm
What: US EPA Hearing on the Pio Pico Power Plant
What's Our Role? Permits for the 300 MW Pio Pico Power Plant have been granted by the CPUC, CEC (CA Energy Commission), and the EPA. However, the EPA is considering their permit that stated that it would reconsider its permit. This is the only missing link between this dirty power plant from being built, and our partners need us to rally the troops!
How You Can Prevent Pio Pico & Other Dirty Power Plants
And Make Way for More Clean Energy
Action List for Individuals
· Pio Pico is a dirty gas power plant proposed by San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E).
· Pio Pico would be located in Otay Mesa in an area that already fails to meet state particulate matter standards and is among the 20% most polluted zip codes in CA. If permitted, Pio Pico will continue to pollute for the 25 years of the contract.
· Pio Pico would saddle SDG&E customers with the $1.6 Billion bill.
· SDG&E wants the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) to fast track approval Pio Pico at the end of 2013 or Jan 2014.
· Pio Pico was previously granted permits from the California Energy Commission and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, but the U.S. EPA announced it will reconsider its permit and reopen public comments, which are due on Dec 17. There will be a hearing at San Ysidro Middle School on Dec 17 at 6:30pm.
· The CPUC said NO to Pio Pico in March due to lack of need through at least 2018.
· Now SDG&E is using the closure of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) as a reason it is reapplying for Pio Pico just 3 months after the NO decision.
· SDG&E's request ignores the CPUC's separate and more appropriate comprehensive planning process (the Long-Term Procurement Plan-- LTPP) to evaluate SONGS replacement needs, it ignores the fact that we don't need the energy, and it exemplifies SDG&E's total disregard for clean energy solutions.
· In addition to Pio Pico, the CPUC is also considering (as part of the LTPP) a whole line of new fossil fuel power plants in San Diego and the Los Angeles Basin to replace SONGS with 50% fossil fuels.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
· Sign CEJA's Petition 'No Pio Pico; Yes to Clean Energy to Replace SONGS': http://bit.ly/HHl6P8
· Sign Sierra Club's Petition 'No Dirty Gas Plants; Yes to 100% Clean Energy to Peplace SONGS': https://secure.sierraclub.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=12338
o (Pio Pico Fact Sheet: http://caleja.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Pio-Pico-Fact-Sheet-FINAL.pdf)
o CEJA Blog: http://caleja.org/news/
o EHC Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EHCSanDiegoo CEJA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaEnvironmentalJusticeAlliance