We have just received word that Kimberly Rivera's clemency request (which was accompanied by 495 letters from supporters from around the world) has been rejected by the Brig. General Michael A. Bills, which means that Kimberly will be separated from her son Matthew as soon as she is released from Balboa Medical Center.
We are crushed by this news. We believed that BG Bills would show humanity and grant Kimberly a release for the last few weeks of her sentence but we were wrong.
It is important that the US Army not win this fight. We, as people of conscience must stand up and say that we still stand with Kim. If we do not speak up, the brass will think that they have won and will believe that cruelty is the best way to stifle dissent.
Supporters of Kim are urged to take nonviolent action to show your outrage with this decision. Possibilities for this expression might include:
1. Demonstrations and vigils outside the gates of US military installations around the world.
2. Letters and phone calls being sent to President Obama urging him to exercise his power as Commander-in-Chief to order Kimberly's release.
3. Demonstrations and vigils outside US embassies and consulates around the world.
We will be sharing more details tomorrow on a national day of action in solidarity with Kim.
We appreciate all of those who have answered our previous calls to action.
* Minister of Peace & Justice - joymennonite.org
* Writer - MilitaryLawpress.com
* Attorney at Law - JMBranum.com
405.494.0562 (c) 866.757.8785 (f)
PO Box 721016, Oklahoma City, OK 73172
PRIVACY NOTICE: This electronic message may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unless otherwise stated, this information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.
San Diego Military Counseling Project