Published on HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com (http://hamptonroads.com)
Blackwater wants to use N.C. airport for driver training
By Connie Sage
The town is negotiating with Blackwater to allow the private security company to lease space at Northeastern Regional Airport to use for its driver training program.
Blackwater would instruct defensive driving techniques on a paved, abandoned runway at the Edenton airport, said Town Manager Anne-Marie Knighton.
The company, headquartered in Moyock, would use the airport to supplement its own training site.
Blackwater is reviewing a proposed $14,000 a year land-lease arrangement and could begin using the property as early as next month, according to Knighton.
College of The Albemarle has used the runway for its Basic Law Enforcement Training classes for years at no charge, she said.
"This would be the first time we'd be getting revenue for the land," she said.
Blackwater gave demonstrations of its driver training program last month to town and airport officials at both its Moyock location and at the Edenton airport.
The runway, located at the northeast corner of the airport, hasn't been used for aircraft since the town took over the property from the Marines in 1959, said airport manager Harry Davis.
"We need as many revenue sources at the airport as possible," Davis said. "The more revenue we can generate and the more the airport is self-supporting, the fewer taxes are required."
Knighton said the runway would be used once or twice a month for two days at a time and would be limited to driver training for law enforcement agencies that contract with Blackwater.
The town also is looking at a program Blackwater developed in conjunction with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol to teach defensive driving to newly licensed teenage drivers, Knighton said.
Source URL (retrieved on 04/25/2008 - 01:21):
What is Patriotism
Welcome to the Progressive Thinkers
- Contact Me
- Get Animations Here
- YouTube Videos
- The Citizen's Commission on Human Rights
- Wealth Inequality
- The Venus Project
- The Four Horsemen
- Películas Zeitgeist en español
- Zeitgeist Movies
- The Collective Madness of the American Empire
- Progress in the World Radio Show
The Hidden Enemy
Raise the Minimum Wage
My New Book About Sudan
Ceasar's Messiah Movie Trailer
The Dark Side of Coffee Trade
Miko Peled "The General's Son" Exposes Israeli Lies
Are these Your Heros?
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
Stephen Fry on Catholisism
Juanita Ayson on Accupuncture
Interview with Congressman Filner
Free Trade Enslaves Us All
- ► 2023 (24)
- ► 2019 (43)
- ► 2018 (176)
- ► 2017 (265)
- ► 2016 (256)
- ► 2015 (428)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (396)
- ► 2009 (407)
- Cheryl Ede
- Drills May Go Live?!!
- Public Access Television Broadcast - Recording Thi...
- Load Up the Pantry-Wall Street Journal
- Amber Alert Notification
- Tune Your Computers For Streaming Video
- Voices Against the War
- Green Cities
- Blackwater keeps at it
- Special Programs at Malcolm X Library
- Hunger in Haiti
- NCCPJ Updates
- Filner Attending Protest
- Blackwater Finds New Home in the South Bay
- Organizing Info
- Filmmakers Screen Documentary Aimed at State's Thr...
- Artist-Museum Partnership Act
- Gore Vidal and Floyd Morrow Meet and Greet
- Good Information
- Faces and Voices of Recovery
- Condi Rice Must Go!!!
- Author Makes Good on Promise
- Health Care For All
- Prison Population Reduction
- SPIN Blog Posting - Defending Your Dreams: Making ...
- Mike Copass for Congress - Earth Day
- Who is Michael Mukasey?
- Fund Raising Event for Children With Incarcerated ...
- April Community Coalition Meeting
- Susan Davis and Mike Copass Video
- SD 911 Truth West Coast Convergence
- The Religious Left: Food for Thought
- Port Shut Down
- Bill Press, Host of the Nation...
- ACLU News
- Cobert Report Premium Package/Blog email
- Activist San Diego
- IRAQ War and Upcoming Events
- Are you conflicted? Tax time again
- RSVP "Get to Know Your Candidates" Forum
- Persecuted People of China
- ▼ April (42)