We hope you will join us for the upcoming Human Rights Watch Film Festival, taking place in Balboa Park from Thursday to Sunday of next week, January 22-25.
Each film will be followed by Q&A with either the filmmakers, the film subjects or a Human Rights Watch field researcher. Please see full information below, and thank you for helping us spread the word by forwarding this email to friends and colleagues.
Have a wonderful 2015 from all of us at Human Rights watch,
The Human Rights Watch Film Festival creates a forum for courageous individuals on both sides of the lens to empower audiences with the knowledge that personal commitment can make a difference. The film festival brings to life human rights abuses through storytelling in a way that challenges each individual to empathize and demand justice for all people.
Please visit MOPA.org/hrwff for additional information and to purchase tickets. Festival passes cover admission to all six festival screenings. Passes and single screening tickets are available online and at the door.
SEPIDEH – REACHING FOR THE STARS
Opening Night: Thursday, January 22
7pm: Film screening and Q&A with assistant director Mona Rafatzadeh, and Faraz Sanei, Researcher, Middle East & North Africa Division, Human Rights Watch.
Moderated by Jennifer Freeman, Senior Program Officer, Women, Peace and Security Women PeaceMakers Program Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice, USD
9pm: Dessert reception
Sepideh is a young Iranian woman who dares to dream of a future as an astronaut. As we follow Sepideh, it becomes clear just how at odds her dreams are with her current reality and the expectations of those around her.
LADY VALOR: THE KRISTIN BECK STORY
Friday, January 23, 7pm
Q&A with film subject Kristin Beck
Former US Navy SEAL Chris Beck embarks on a new mission as Kristin Beck. Kristin's journey in search of the American ideals that she protected –life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness – have a whole new meaning as she lives her life truthfully as a transgender woman.
Saturday, January 24, 3pm
Q&A with film subject Kit Gruelle, Anne O'Dell, Ret. Sgt. SDPD
Private Violence explores a simple but deeply disturbing fact of American life: the most dangerous place for a woman in America is her own home.
OUT IN THE NIGHT
Saturday, January 24, 7pm
Q&A with film subjects Terrain Dandridge and Renata Hill
One hot August night in 2006 in New York's Greenwich Village, a group of young African-American lesbian friends are violently and sexually threatened by an older man. They defend themselves and a fight begins that draws in strangers on the street. Through this act, and their audacity to claim innocence in the courtroom, these young women became known as The New Jersey 4.
RETURN TO HOMS
Sunday, January 25, 3 pm
Q&A with James Gelvin, Professor of History, UCLA and Faraz Sanei, Researcher, Middle East & North Africa Division, Human Rights Watch
Filmed between August 2011 and August 2013, Return to Homs is a remarkably intimate portrait of a group of young revolutionaries in the city of Homs in western Syria. They dream of their country being free from President Bashar al-Assad and fight for justice through peaceful demonstrations.
Sunday, January 25, 7pm
Q&A with filmmaker Anne de Mare
The Homestretch follows three homeless teens in Chicago as they fight to stay in school, graduate, and build a future.
The San Diego presentation of the Human Rights Watch Film Filmmakers and HRW staff accommodations provided by The Sofia Hotel.
The link for the website and tickets, etc is still: mopa.org/hrwff
Visit ff.hrw.org for more info
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
- Contact Me
- Get Animations Here
- YouTube Videos
- The Citizen's Commission on Human Rights
- Wealth Inequality
- The Venus Project
- The Four Horsemen
- Películas Zeitgeist en español
- Zeitgeist Movies
- The Collective Madness of the American Empire
- Progress in the World Radio Show
Friday, January 16, 2015
[SDCPJ] NEXT WEEK: Human Rights Watch Film Festival in San Diego (January 22-25)
- ► 2019 (43)
- ► 2018 (176)
- ► 2017 (265)
- ► 2016 (256)
- Democracy Now - Black Panthers
- Zeitgeist Day 2013: Sharleen Bazeghi | "Introducti...
- Robert Reich - No to TPP
- Democracy NOW - With Robert Redford at Sundance Fi...
- Lie Witness News - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Edition
- Surround Yourself With Those On The Same Mission A...
- [SDCPJ] FW: For Immediate Release, January 23, 201...
- [SDCPJ] Sat 1/31, 10am ~ Community Conversations
- "Upfront & Outspoken" with Bob Williams and specia...
- 10 Amazing Sites That Will Pay You For Your Writing
- 18 Things Fast Food Restaurants Don't Want You to ...
- Don't miss "Steal Heaven" a very relevant play abo...
- [SDCPJ] Please Forward: Activists Honor MLK on Mon...
- February 2015 Movie Marathon
- Democracy NOW - Newly Discovered Speech By Dr. King
- Republicans Say Goodbye to Latino Voters | Fernand...
- Drones can be used to save Lives!
- Hire a Veteran! NOT!
- And Justice for None
- EJF newsletter - Why Veterans Can't Get Jobs - Par...
- [SDCPJ] NEXT WEEK: Human Rights Watch Film Festiva...
- Democracy Now - Friday 16 January 2015 Terrorist A...
- The First World War (Jihad 1914 - 1916) - BBC Docu...
- Eco Terrorist Freed 10 Years Early
- ABC: CDC and Health Officials Tell 26 Year Old Wom...
- Freedom of Speech? Depends on Who is Speaking!
- After Confronting Mayor, Police Union Leader Faces...
- NYPD OFFICER SPEAKS OUT ON POLICE WHO TURNED BACKS...
- Robert Reich - 2014 In Review
- #ReGeneration - Trailer - An Important Movie for Y...
- Choice for Democrats
- Is This Country Crazy? Inquiring Minds Elsewhere W...
- Freedom From Religion
- Religion Holds Us Back
- [SDCPJ] FW: Meetings, Campaigns and Mobilizations ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: RSVP Space Limited Jan. 12th Event: M...
- [SDCPJ] FW: Rally to reject Keystone XL this Tuesd...
- French security forces kill gunmen, end terror ram...
- The Story Of Delonna Sullivan
- Democracy Now 5 January 2014
- A Lie Does Not Become the Truth
- Chris Hedges America is a Tinderbox Pt 3 & 4
- Chris Hedges Urban Poverty in America Made Me Que...
- The Liberal Elite has Betrayed the People They Cla...
- Urban Poverty in America Made Me Question Everythi...
- Untold History: The Coup Against Wallace and What ...
- Untold History: The Rise and Fall of a Progressive...
- Untold History: Early US Imperialism, Hitler, Roos...
- FDR on Fascism
- Chris Hedges: Our nation
- Steve Jobs Lost Interview 1990 - A must watch for ...
- Dr. Otis Brawley: Fighting Patient Mistreatment in...
- President Jimmy Carter Challenges of a Superpower
- Robert Reich: Inequality for All (11/20/13)
- Ralph Nader: Unstoppable - The Emerging Left Right...
- Andrew Young: Answering the Call for Leadership - ...
- ▼ January (58)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)