Here is a new 9/3/15 article in the San Diego Reader.
And, attached please find the new press release from the Che Café Collective's press committee.
Please note that the lease for all four of the UCSD coops (including the Che Café) started 5/1/06 and runs for 10 years, so the August 2016 date in the article is incorrect. Also, the lease for the Che Café is STILL legally terminated (pending the ruling of the appellate court on the trial court's decision from last fall). So whether the Che Café coop will be included in the negotiations for all four of the coops to renew the 10 year lease remains a big question.
Although the "fire/life safety" improvements which UCSD Chancellor Khosla has now agreed to fund are not and have never been required by law, it is no longer an issue being used to pretend there is a justification for terminating the Che Cafe's lease and/or for eviction. The administration is no longer pretending these improvements MUST be done before the lease can be restored. The administration is no longer pretending there are no funds for these improvements and that THEREFORE the Che Café must be shut down. This is a substantial victory for the Save the Che Café campaign, for all the thousands of people who have spoken up and supported the Che, and, of course, for the members of the collective and especially for the students who maintained an occupation/sit-in 24 hours a day since March 24, to guard the Café against any surprise effort of the Sheriff's Department to finalize the eviction and change the locks. This has been the longest sit-in in UCSD history and the administration probably would not be negotiating a mutually agreeable solution if we did not have the occupation.
We still need to work out the maintenance and repairs needed to bring the kitchen fully back online and to make the Café restrooms ADA compliant.
It is not time to relax and enjoy a victory, yet. The time for that will be when the UCSD administration once again respects a long term lease that gives us security of the space.
Keep up all your efforts, your emails and phone calls to the administration, your donations to the defense fund, and your fighting spirit!
The Che Will Stay!
for Che Café Support Network
- Contact Me
- Get Animations Here
- YouTube Videos
- The Citizen's Commission on Human Rights
- Wealth Inequality
- The Venus Project
- The Four Horsemen
- Películas Zeitgeist en español
- Zeitgeist Movies
- The Collective Madness of the American Empire
- Progress in the World Radio Show
Tuesday, September 8, 2015
[SDCPJ] Che Cafe updates: new report in SD Reader; new press release
- ► 2019 (43)
- ► 2018 (176)
- ► 2017 (265)
- ► 2016 (256)
- [SDCPJ] 2015 Conference on Labor and Community Sol...
- 4 Important Stories You Need to Know About Today: ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Please send email re; interfaith clim...
- Democracy NOW 22 September 2015 Noam Chomsky
- Radio Show: Introducing The Foundation for the Chi...
- Democracy Now- GM Criminals
- [SDCPJ] Celebrate the Life of Douglas Holbrook; KN...
- [SDCPJ] Thur 9/24: Interfaith Forum on Climate Jus...
- [SDCPJ] Sat 9/26 ~ Comm. Conversations (last one!)...
- [SDCPJ] Mon 9/28, 7pm: Author talk ~ Waging Peace
- [SDCPJ] Project YANO Video Project Participant Cal...
- Tom Grant Intro
- [SDCPJ] Beautiful Table
- [SDCPJ] FW: Event: Free screening of Reel Bad Arab...
- [SDCPJ] FW: Oct 10 event (please forward)
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Peace wins -- update on campaign to p...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Tomorrow: Can you make "All Ages Peac...
- [SDCPJ] Tonight! 9/9 @ 6:30 ~ Iran Nuclear Deal
- [SDCPJ] Che Cafe updates: new report in SD Reader;...
- [SDCPJ] OLB Fundraiser!
- [SDCPJ] Community Forum: Iran Nuclear Deal
- [SDCPJ] Ai Weiwei: The Fake Case
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Action Alert: Contact the Seven Undec...
- [SDCPJ] Sailing for Peace
- ▼ September (24)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)