Supreme Court upholds Travel Ban - What to do next?
CAIR DECRIES U.S. SUPREME COURT'S DECISION ALLOWING MUSLIM BAN TO REMAIN IN EFFECT
(SAN DIEGO, CA., 6/26/18) — The Council on American-Islamic Relations, San Diego Office (CAIR-SD), part of the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today decried the U.S. Supreme Court's decision announced this morning to allow the Muslim Ban 3.0 to remain in effect.
WATCH: CAIR News Conference Reacting to the Supreme Court Decision
WATCH: Live Muslim Ban Rally Outside Supreme Court
In a 5-4 decision, the Court reversed an injunction that had — until December 2017 — prevented the Trump administration from using the Muslim Ban 3.0 as a basis for denying visas to foreign nationals from eight affected countries.
In her dissent, Justice Sotomayor wrote: "A reasonable observer would conclude that the Proclamation was driven primarily by anti-Muslim animus, rather than by the Government's asserted national-security justifications. Even before being sworn into office, then-candidate Trump stated that 'Islam hates us.'"
"This shameful decision is reminiscent of past decisions that allowed for segregation and Japanese-American internment camps, and is part of President Trump's larger, un-American war on immigrant families. We must continue to fight for all immigrant families by organizing, mobilizing and voting in the mid-term elections," said CAIR-SD's Advocacy and Policy Coordinator, Mejgan Afshan.
"This decision is a heartbreaking opinion, but it is a reminder that we need to stand firm in the face of discrimination and do so with and for our allies in the fight for the civil rights of all Americans," said CAIR-SD's Senior Civil Rights and Immigration Attorney, Susanne Arani.
In a statement in reaction to today's ruling, CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said:
"This is a setback; not the end of the road. Today, the Supreme Court made it clear that the responsibility will continue to be on the American Muslim community and its allies to push for an end to the Muslim Ban.
"The Supreme Court's decision is an invitation to inject discrimination back into our immigration system. More than half a century ago, Congress abandoned a racist immigration system that preferred some races over others. This decision is an abandonment of that milestone.
"The Muslim Ban's bigotry should have been as clear to the Supreme Court as it is to the Muslims demonized by it. Apparently, everyone but the Supreme Court can see the decision for what it is: an expression of animosity."
In its decision, the Supreme Court granted extreme deference to the Trump administration, which gives the administration the green light to inject discrimination back into the immigration system.
Since the Trump administration's first attempt to ban Muslim immigration to the United States, CAIR has filed legal challenges to each of the ban's permutations.
Please join us at the following Press conference and rally tonight!
WHAT: Muslim Ban Press Conference and Rally
WHEN: Tonight (June 26 2018), 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Edward J Schwartz Federal Building, 880 Front Street, San Diego.
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
CONTACT: CAIR-SD's Advocacy and Policy Coordinator, 858-278-4547, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR-SD's Senior Civil Rights and Immigration Attorney, Susanne Arani 858-430-6768, email@example.com; CAIR Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2018 CAIR San Diego, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
CAIR San Diego7710 Balboa Ave.,Suite 326San Diego, CA 92111
Add us to your address
- Contact Me
- Get Animations Here
- YouTube Videos
- The Citizen's Commission on Human Rights
- Wealth Inequality
- The Venus Project
- The Four Horsemen
- ETHOS Time To Unslave Humanity
- Zeitgeist Movies
- The Collective Madness of the American Empire
- Progress in the World Radio Show
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
[SDCPJ] Fwd: Supreme Court upholds Travel Ban - What to do next?
- [SDCPJ] News and Actions from San Diegans for Gun ...
- [SDCPJ] Youth Organizing for Unity (SD YOU), Gun &...
- [SDCPJ] Immigration Protests Continue Nationwide |...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Travel Ban - Who it impacts and How?
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Benefit Concert for Border Angels, Ju...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Supreme Court upholds Travel Ban - Wh...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Local Actions happening now! Urgent!
- [SDCPJ] Emergency Demo! Stand With Muslims Tonight...
- [SDCPJ] Immigration Protests: The Whole World is W...
- [SDCPJ] Community Forum on Police Practices June 2...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Join Senator Kamala Harris and ACLU-S...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: This week: Pipeline Rally, CARB Works...
- [SDCPJ] LGBTQ & Pride Forum + Dinner 6/18; Racial ...
- [SDCPJ] Actions & Events from San Diegans 4 Gun Vi...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Rally to Stop SDG&E Pipeline Sunday J...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: Say NO to new fossil fuel pipeline in ...
- [SDCPJ] World Beyond War: See you soon in San Dieg...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: June Actions with the PRC
- Author Hannibal B. Johnson: The Sawners and the 19...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: June Events from The Ocean Beach Gree...
- ▼ June (20)
- ► 2017 (265)
- ► 2016 (256)
- ► 2015 (428)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)