In the effort to better understand our interconnected communities and build a more peaceful world, partners of the Peace Campus present…
Border Reality Visit
Sun. June 7th, 9:30am to 4pm
A special tour to introduce "the border" and how it impacts the people of our region.
This visit is planned for supporters and members of the Peace Resource Center, Church of the Brethren, and San Diego Friends Meeting. Our colleagues from AFSC San Diego will be leading us. There will be three stops along the border on the U.S. side and time to talk together at the end with lunch. More information is available in the "Tips and Guidelines" document.
RSVP requested by Mon. June 1st (we are filling up!)
The purpose is to:
- Experience how the border & US laws affect families who've been separated
- View "the fence" and effects on people and environment
- Learn about challenges of immigrants and economic and legal issues
- Become acquainted with the border and its broader context
9:30 am – arrive no later than 9:30 at the Peace Campus (3850 Westgate Pl).
– We have a 15 passenger van and a few cars lined up to provide transportation.
10:30 am – 1st Stop, Virginia Street Mall
10:45 am – 2nd Stop, Water Treatment Plant
11:00 am – 3rd Stop, Friendship Park
12 noon – Discussion at the Park, info about the monument
1:00 pm – worship or garden visit (based on availability)
1:30 pm – Lunch together (food will be provided, requesting $10 donation)
– Van leaves when we finish
4 pm? – projected arrival back to campus sometime between 3-4pm
Considerations for the day
- BRING: plenty of water & U.S. identification (driver's license or CA ID are ok)
- WEAR: sunscreen, a hat or sun visor, comfortable clothing and walking shoes
- We will *NOT* travel into Mexico, however U.S. identification is needed to access portions of the border tour.
- We expect to be able to drive into the park. However, if we receive any kind of rain between now and then we may have to walk, so walking shoes are advised.
- We are trying to be as friendly as possible for all ages, but are aware of limitations for young children and people with mobility challenges. Those with children or challenges are invited to consider the schedule and join us for portions that you are able. Contact us with questions.