July 11th - Action needed now for community oversight of police
SUPPORT STRONG COMMUNITY OVERSIGHT OF POLICE
The PRC supports this much-needed proposed community oversight of police.
Wednesday July 11th
San Diego City Council
202 C street, 12th floor
The city's Rules Committee meets July 11 to decide on the community proposal to create a strong, independent Commission on Police Practices.
Now is the time to call your council member. There has been strong opposition by law enforcement. Let your elected officials hear your voice.The Rules Committee must approve and move this proposal to the full Council now - if approved, the proposal will be on the November 2018 ballot for a vote by the people.
Who is on the Rules Committee?Myrtle Cole (Chair), Mark Kersey (Vice Chair), Barbara Bry, Chris Ward and Chris Cate
You can find city officials contact info here.
Who polices the police?
The District Attorney is charged with investigating when police fire on civilians.
The SDPD Internal Affairs (IA) conducts their own investigations.
The Community Review Board (CRB) on Police Practices makes their decision based solely on the IA investigation.
The Mayor approves appointees to the CRB.
Despite the deaths of over 300 people at the hands of police in San Diego, the DA has not charged one officer.
The community also needs to be at the table of justice.
Women Occupy San Diego believes this is best done through a charter amendment that would empower a Commission to independently investigate police.
Why San Diego needs a Commission on Police Practices:
·the independently appointed Commission would replace the current Review Board appointed by the Mayor.
· independent Investigators to investigate instead of relying on the records of SDPD Internal Affairs .
· independent Legal Counsel - instead of the Office of the City Attorney, which also defends police officers.
· the power to subpoena civilian witnesses.
·to receive and review all complaints and decides their disposition.
UPDATE on Raul Rivera, shot May 28 by SDPD during a mental health crisis
Copyright © 2018 Peace Resource Center of San Diego, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Peace Resource Center of San Diego3850 Westgate PlaceSan Diego, CA 92105
Add us to your address book
Tuesday, July 10, 2018
[SDCPJ] Fwd: July 11th - Action needed now for community oversight of police
Begin forwarded message:
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: [SanDiego350.org] Help make Rise for ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: [SanDiego350.org] Two Environmental P...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: You're Invited: ACLU Legislating for ...
- [SDCPJ] Free Film Tonight! “The Occupation of the ...
- [SDCPJ] Please Forward! Mon. July 16, 7 PM ~ Youth...
- American Fascism
- I thought I Was a Freedom Fighter
- [SDCPJ] Press release Fwd: San Diego tells Rules C...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: July 11th - Action needed now for com...
- [SDCPJ] Biggest Loser in the June Primary Wasn’t o...
- How To Update Java In Windows 10
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: July Events from the Ocean Beach Gree...
- ▼ July (12)
- ► 2017 (265)
- ► 2016 (256)
- ► 2015 (428)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)