Sent from my iPad
Begin forwarded message:
Robert Branch needs the support of the community over the next two weeks.Please come and support him at his upcoming trial! Starts Monday.This young man is facing a trial - we believe as retaliation after Robert filed a civil lawsuit against a county sheriff and the department for police brutality.Trial date: Monday, June 5 - Friday, June 16, 2017Location: County Courthouse, Department 39, 9am (220 W. Broadway downtown)The Case Of Robert Branch - DA Retaliation again?The Peace Resource Center has joined the Coalition for Robert Branch along with local civil rights and justice groups to demand that District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis end her retaliatory trials and racist practices.FACTS OF THE CASE:
- On May 4, 2015, Robert Branch had pulled off I-8 to check a problem with his car. Within minutes, he was placed in a "carotid restraint" by San Diego Sheriff Detective Paul Ward, rendering him unconscious. The officer was in plain clothes and an unmarked car. Robert had the presence of mind to video the attack on his cell phone. You can view this online at youtube.com/watch?v=5YiB4GPeGd4
- Although he was arrested for "threatening to pepper spray an officer", the Sheriff's Department did not file charges and Robert was released.
- Robert is a young African-American man.
- In October 2015, Robert filed a federal lawsuit against the officer and the Department for police brutality.
- The DA responded by filing criminal charges 7 months after the altercation.The Coalition believes that the charges are in direct response to Robert's civil lawsuit. This trial is an abuse of power by the county and reckless disregard for due process.HOW WE CAN HELP:
- Like the Coalition for Robert Branch on FB and watch for updates at facebook.com/coalitionforrobertbranch
- Show the court the community concern for true justice and supports Robert by attending the trial. All trials (unless ordered closed by the judge) are open to the public. Sit behind Robert.
- SURJ has created a doodle poll where you can select the dates/times you can show up for Robert at doodle.com/poll/cw9x7436ikvau7tfTHE CASE AGAINST DA DUMANIS*In addition to this relatiatory prosecution against Robert, DA Dumanis has a track record of prosecutorial attacks on communities of color while failing to prosecute law enforcement for the deaths or brutality against the community.The Shooting Death of Fridoon Nehad: Mr. Nehad, a mentally ill Afghani refugee, was shot within minutes of Officer Browder's arrival in the alley. The officer was caught lying about the facts of his encounter with Mr. Nehad. The DA staff abused their power as they coached Browder, revised his story, and presented one-sided evidence that "proved" a justifiable shooting.Unwarranted prosecution of the SD33: The DA persisted in the persecution of 33 men in Southeast San Diego area because they lived there. DA Dumanis has the distinction of being the only prosecutor to use zip codes to indict people. Exploiting the concept of "gang injunctions", she racially profiled and prosecuted young black men who were not associated with crimes to boost her public "tough on crime" persona. Community outcry forced her to cease and desist these racist arrests.DA Dumanis has failed to seriously investigate the officers who shot and killed Alfred Olange, Victor Ortega and dozens of other unarmed young people in San Diego. Under her leadership, not one officer has been charged in a killing of a person.Now that the DA has announced her early retirement, we will continue to advocate for an Office of District Attorney that is committed to justice for everyone and law enforcement that is held accountable for its actions.Our deep appreciation is extended to the Coalition members who continue to support Robert and promote his cause.--