Monday, January 30, 2017
Sunday, January 29, 2017
"To my conservative family and friends: You have been given a gift. The gift is this: Your guy won, your team has the house and the senate. And it's going....not great. My charge to you is this: figure out how you want to be represented in history. You are on the cusp of being the party that rose up and fought for what you told us you stood for, or you can be the people we have to explain to our children when they ask why no one fought the breakdown of our democracy.
If you voted for the president or a Republican senator because you believe in fiscal conservatism, you should be furious that your tax dollars are going to build a wall that will have zero impact on the effects of immigration.
If you hate the left because of "Political Correctness," you need to be asking yourself if you're okay with the President censoring communications from MULTIPLE government organizations like the National Park Service, the EPA and more.
If you voted because you hated Secretary Clinton's email server, I expect you to be calling your representatives to ask why Steve Bannon and others continue to use their unsecured personal emails and why your president is using an unsecured android device still.
If you voted because you believed there would be better protection against terrorists, you need to ask yourself why it's okay that your president just took away $130 million in anti-terror funds from New York with his punishment of Sanctuary Cities.
If you are angry that your insurance is too expensive, you should ask why your senators are repealing ACA without a replacement, an action that will leave 20 million people without insurance at all.
If you believe the Clinton initiative provided unequal treatment to countries that supported their foundation, you should be livid that your president has moved to block visas from Muslim countries like Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, but not places where he has business ties like Egypt, Qatar, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
This is an opportunity to prove that you voted for the reasons you say you did. I am taking you seriously; I am taking you literally."
Weekly Acts - wall-of-us
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus (engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty in 1903)
All-of-us must stand with Lady Liberty. We're with her.
Read on »
Read on »
Read on »
Read on »
Stay in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Wall of Us
PO Box 5801Berkeley, California 94705
Add us to your address book
Date: January 29, 2017 at 11:28:02 AM PST
Subject: [SanDiego350.org] Wednesday, 4:45 pm: Call on CalSTRS to divest from Fossil Fuels
On Wednesday, CalSTRS (the California State Teachers Retirement System) Board is meeting right here in San Diego (normally they meet in Northern California).
We'll be calling on them to divest their massive (nearly $200 Billion) pension fund from fossil fuels. We will use the public comment section, which begins around 5 pm. We'll get there early, to organize ourselves and sign up to speak – at 4:45 pm. Speakers may speak for 3 minutes each. We have talking points here (but please use your own words).
Joining us will be:
- Jim Miller, California Federation of Teachers (which passed a resolution supporting fossil fuel divestment) and Professor at City College
- Kevin Beiser, Board Member, San Diego Unified School District (which also passed a resolution) and math teacher
- Eric Halgren, Prof of Neuroscience @ UCSD, who led the recent successful effort for a faculty resolution at UCSD in support of fossil fuel divestment
WHEN: Wednesday, February 1 at 4:45 pm
WHERE: 9095 Rio San Diego Drive, Suite 350, San Diego, CA 92108
Google Calendar: http://bit.ly/sd350gcal
Saturday, January 28, 2017
Stan Mason makes videos. He speaks at public events. He runs a YouTube channel and a Facebook page. He highlights how people of color are victimized by brutal police who because of short comings, ignore public safety and their oaths to persecute people of color and the poor.
These police officers have the courage to speak out against injustice and the blue wall of silence. They risk their lives, their careers, their families. On one side, they have dangerous criminals created by a manufactured reality of unjust law enforcement. On the other, they have colleagues who could "accidentally" shoot them, fail to render assistance, file false reports, a virtual array of methods to destroy them, for having the temerity to BREAK THE BLUE WALL OF SILENCE.
Police officers cover for one another, that is what we have all known. Now, we have the proof with the statements of these brave officers.
|Stan and his Wife|
Subject: Next week in San Diego! The Human Rights Watch Film Festival at MOPA
Reply-To: Human Rights Watch Film Festival <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The Human Rights Watch Film Festival returns to the Museum of Photographic Arts on February 2 - 5, 2017. The film festival brings to light human rights abuses through storytelling in a way that challenges each individual to empathize and demand justice for all people.
From the critical importance of a free and independent press (All Governments Lie) to racism in America (I Am Not Your Negro) to the realities facing Syrian refugees risking their lives in search of safety (The Crossing) this year's program will provide opportunities to discuss critical issues facing our country today.
Please visit MOPA.org/hrwff for additional information and to purchase tickets. Festival passes cover admission to all six festival screenings. Passes and single screening tickets are available online and at the door.
WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS
Opening Night: Thursday, February 2
7pm Film screening and Q&A with director Beth Murphy and Razia Jan, film subject and founder of the Zabuli Education Center and Razia's Ray of Hope Foundation. Discussion moderated by Jo Becker, Advocacy Director, Children's Rights Division at Human Rights Watch
What Tomorrow Brings is the story of the first all-girls school in a remote Afghan village. While the girls learn to read and write, education goes far beyond the classroom and teaches the students that girls also count.
THEY CALL US MONSTERS
Friday, February 3, 7pm
Q&A with Gabriel Cowan, producer and film subject and Elizabeth Calvin, Senior Advocate, Children's Rights Division at Human Rights Watch
The Compound: where Los Angeles houses its most violent juvenile offenders. To their advocates, they're kids. To the system, they're adults and to their victims they're monsters.
Saturday, February 4, 3pm
Q&A with film producer Marty Syjuco and film subject Emmet Cullen
Two young veterans, haunted by their combat experiences, take a 2,700-mile trek on foot across America seeking redemption, acceptance and a way to close the moral chasm opened by war.
I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO
Saturday, February 4, 7pm
Q&A discussion to follow screening
Working from the text of James Baldwin's unfinished final novel, director Raoul Peck creates a stunning meditation on what it means to be Black in America, and reflects on the legacy of racial violence that still permeates the country. .
Sunday, February 5, 3 pm
Q&A with director George Kurian to follow via Skype
A first-hand account of the perilous journey made by a group of Syrian refugees, The Crossing shows us the lengths to which people go to find safety and forge their own destiny.
ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE
Sunday, February 5, 7pm
Q&A with filmmaker Fred Peabody
Filmmaker and TV news veteran Fred Peabody explores the life and legacy of the maverick American journalist I.F. Stone and examines how independent journalists today are still changing the face of journalism - providing investigative, adversarial alternatives to mainstream, corporate news outlets.
For tickets visit mopa.org/hrwff
Filmmaker and HRW staff accommodations provided by The Sofia Hotel
Visit ff.hrw.org for more info
- Hair Resembling Cotton Candy Made of Piss: Trump
- To My Conservative Family and Friends
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Weekly Acts - wall-of-us
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: [SanDiego350.org] Wednesday, 4:45 pm:...
- Dr. Bart Billings to Speak at the Eleanor Roosevel...
- Organizing for Action Rally to Save Obamacare at R...
- Crooked Donald Trump To Profit From Controversial ...
- The Russ Belville Show #704 _ Police Officer Nick...
- Dallas Police Officer Asks Medicinal Marijuana Que...
- Officer Nick Novello asked why police cannot polic...
- Stan Mason: Breaking the Blue Wall of Silence
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Next week in San Diego! The Human Rig...
- Alternative Reality (Video) (from @Truthdig)
- The Insanity of Torture and Donald Trump
- Colonel Bart Billings, Psychologist—Help our Veter...
- [SDCPJ] Don't miss important information next Thur...
- Volunteers Needed! Teaching Positive Alternatives ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Surfrider San Diego News!
- Matt Taibbi: Insane Clown President
- Should We Abolish the Electoral College?
- Texas Foster Foster Care System
- The Pentagon Just Exonerated Itself for Slaughteri...
- Cracks in the Blue Wall: Black, Brown and White Of...
- [SDCPJ] WOSD Movie Night: The Best Democracy Money...
- [SDCPJ] Beyond Vietnam--Martin Luther King's Histo...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: The world needs more Edward Snowdens
- Efforts to Repeal Obama Care and Take Away Healthc...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: PLEASE FORWARD: Don't miss the Counte...
- Action Packed Interview on DemocracyNow
- Our Revolution Videos
- New Intercept Exposé Uncovers SEAL Team 6's Ghastl...
- Trump Ignores Ethics Experts Urging Him to Divest ...
- Committee to Protect Journalists: Watch Out for "L...
- Do Exxon's Climate Denial & "Trail of Carnage" on ...
- Investigation: Did Trump's Defense Secretary Nomin...
- [WOSD-Discussion] Media Release: HOMELESS ADVOCATE...
- Rep. Luis Gutiérrez & Rev. William Barber on AG No...
- Psychiatrist Hyla Cass: First Do No Harm
- Dr Peter C Gøtzsche on how Psychiatry has gone as...
- Dr. Thomas Szasz, Professor of Psychiatry
- [SDCPJ] PLEASE FORWARD: Don't miss the Counter-Ina...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Radioactive waste documentary "Contai...
- [SDCPJ] San Diego Protests During Trump Inaugurati...
- What Can We Do About the Electoral College: Ralph ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Right Livelihood Award Foundation New...
- Former CIA director James Woolsey cuts ties with D...
- Trump On The Wall With Mexico
- Trump Backpedals on the Wall With Mexico
- Lie about border fence
- What Mexicans think of Trump's wall - BBC News
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Action Alert: Fight Tear Gas in Priso...
- Bob Goodlatte Should be Investigated, Boycotted
- House GOP VOTES TO GUT ETHICS PANEL -FORCED TO BAC...
- Actor Samuel Culver on Progress in the World
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Join a climate action team! Jan 7 (Hi...
- [SDCPJ] #J20 - No to Trump! San Diego protests, Fr...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: January Events from the Ocean Beach G...
- House GOP votes to gut ethics office The Republica...
- How The Donald Trump Cabinet Stacks Up, In 3 Chart...
- ▼ January (60)
- ► 2016 (256)
- ► 2015 (428)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)