FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 11, 2017
Contact: Martha Sullivan, 858-945-6273, info@GrassrootsOasis.com
March of Voices Demand Action from City Hall on Safe Places for All!
WHAT: Press Conference, Petition Delivery to Mayor, Public Comment to City Council
WHEN: Tuesday, September 12, 2017/ PRESS CONF. = 8:30 am / Petition Delivery to Mayor = 9:15 am / City Council Mtg = 10 am
WHERE: PRESS Conf = City Concourse by City Hall (202 C St) / Mayor's Office, 11th Fl. City Hall / City Council Chambers, 12th Fl. City Hall
As the death toll from an epidemic of Hepatitis A hovers at 15, and hundreds have been hospitalized with more sickened, we return to San Diego City Hall to repeat our calls of over a year for EFFECTIVE ACTION to address the humanitarian crisis of homelessness in San Diego -- all of which Mayor Faulconer is wholly empowered to initiate immediately:
1) City-sanctioned and supported SafeCamp and SafePark locations, as modeled by the Cities of Seattle (since 2015) and Santa Barbara (since 2004), respectively;1
2) A Moratorium & Amnesty on Tickets and Arrests for actions related to simple survival without housing, similar to the statewide amnesty on traffic fines enacted in 2015, which also deepen poverty;2 and
3) More Attended and Maintained Public Toilets and handwash stations in locations frequented by Unsheltered San Diegans, as modeled by the Sacramento City Council since 2016.3
"For the well-housed rest of us, the ramifications of leadership failure go well beyond the simmering offense to the human decency of leaving our poorest people to fend for themselves. We have full-blown crises of public safety and public health, the twin imperatives of any functioning government."4
As City Council returns from its Summer Recess – we Demand Immediate ACTION from Mayor Kevin Faulconer, City Council President Myrtle Cole and the rest of the City Council to correct this Leadership Failure, and make San Diego a Safe Place for EVERY San Diegan to Live! Press Conference at 8:30am on the urgent need for these ACTIONS, as well as a class action lawsuit filed against the City of San Diego for cruel and unusual punishment inflicted on Unsheltered San Diegans, featuring:
- Performance by the Voices of Our City Choir, a community choir of homeless and housed San Diegans.
- Steph Johnson, President of Voices of Our City Choir
- Kath Rogers, Plaintiff Attorney
- Two Plaintiffs in Class Action Lawsuit against City for misuse of Encroachment Ordinance
- The Hon. Lori Saldaña, CA Assy for San Diego (Ret.) and SD Community College District Professor
At 9:15am, we will march on Mayor Faulconer's office to repeat our calls for City-sanctioned and supported SafeCamp/SafePark locations and a Moratorium & Amnesty on Tickets and Arrests, as well as More Public Toilets and handwash stations -- all of which he is wholly empowered to fulfill.Then to 10am City Council Mtg to speak during Non-Agenda Public Comment on the same.
- 1 https://www.change.org/p/san-diego-mayor-kevin-faulconer-safepark-camp-for-victims-of-san-diego-housing-disaster- in-qualcomm-stadium-parking-lot
- 2 https://www.change.org/p/san-diego-mayor-kevin-faulconer-emergency-humanitarian-action-to-stop-making-homeless- people-in-san-diego-criminals
- 3 http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/01/11/sacramento-to-plan-for-permanent-bathroom-access-for-homeless/
Sunday, September 10, 2017
[SDCPJ] Press Release/Tues Morning 9/12/17: Demand ACTION on Safe Places for ALL San Diegans
- Meet Progressive Candidate For California Lt. Gove...
- Gayle McLaughlin and the Richmond Progressive Alli...
- [SDCPJ] Sat., Sept 30 - Movement School for Revolu...
- [SDCPJ] PLEASE FORWARD: Monday, Sept. 18, 7-9 pm; ...
- Heal Your LIfe With Dr. Carolle Part 19 The Power ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: Golden Rule San Diego Press Release
- [SDCPJ] Press Release/Tues Morning 9/12/17: Demand...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: September Events from the Ocean Beach...
- Texas Republicans Pushed to Kill Safety Regulation...
- [SDCPJ] Fri. Sept 1 @ 7pm: JOIN Local Activists wo...
- ▼ September (10)
- ► 2016 (256)
- ► 2015 (428)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)