From: Raymond Lutz
Sent: Nov 20, 2011 10:47 PM
Subject: [OccupySD] Occupy Update for 11/21
MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!Note: The format has changed... Links are not shown explicitly. Please use Web Version for best viewing experience. Let me know if you have any trouble viewing this email!
- http://www.copswiki.org/Common/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Nov21 <== click here for Web Version of this page, for best viewing.
- Occupy San Diego Email Blasts -- Archive of all Email Blasts
- Occupy San Diego -- Main Occupy San Diego wiki project page
- Detail pages: All Occupy San Diego Media; Occupy San Diego Events; All Occupy San Diego Announcements
- Occupy San Diego Calendar -- Month-at-a-glance calendar
- DONATE HERE -- This is the only official donation page. Do not use other "scammer" sites! (Please Donate today!!!)
- The occupation continues, around the clock.
- PLEASE COME DOWN when you can and help with numbers. This is your true vote. Stay at home = vote against 99%.
- Tents and almost everything is now being restricted by the police.
- Food is needed -- we no longer have a food table, so you'll have to play it by ear.
- We will not be denied our constitutional right to assemble and speak!
- Many Teach-ins on Sunday!
- Note about Alert sent today: The alert sent to email blast list was sent at about noon. Many people were checking their email later, came down to the Civic Center Plaza at maybe 6pm and wondered what all the hoopla was about. The request for the email blast came from the Celly text list (see details below to subscribe.) To make sure we avoid false alarms, our procedure will be to check with at least two other people on the ground. Also, the time should have been in the email to make sure you know when it was sent. This will be corrected in the future!
- Police are trying to beat us down at the Civic Center Plaza. The following from a post on Facebook:If you stand under the overhang at the west end of the plaza, they are calling that loitering. We were told when beginning the first teach in/workshop, where we'd always held it when it was raining or threatened to rain, that we were subject to arrest for loitering if we did not move then on order - and that we were subject to immediate arrest for the next 48 hours after the warning if we returned anywhere under the overhang. Furthermore, they will apply that to any occupier. It follows a pattern of increasing harassment and intimidation of the weekend teach ins, that is always paralleled with increased harassment of the 24-7 occupiers. Today they were also harassed for 'loitering' in the earlier morning hours for escaping the rain a little while under the overhang, and then for using umbrellas which were dubbed by the police as 'structures being erected'. The one arrest this morning was among the 24-7 occupiers who had been talking to the police about their new umbrella rule. It occurred exactly as the first teach in/workshop began, which is also a pattern. It is petty intimidation, and we will not back down.It turns out that the law that is quoted on the sign has an exemption for peaceful political activities. Anyone who takes part in any future teach-ins should print out the information below and show to the police:
also, see http://usff.com/hldl/courtcases/kolendervlawson.html regarding PC 647 (e), the other law cited by the sign, which was found to be unconstitutional.
§52.80.01 Trespasses upon Privately Operated Business Premises Prohibited
(a) No person shall have the right to use privately operated business premises which are open to the general public for any purpose which is contrary to the functions or services provided thereon without the consent of the owner, operator or agent thereof. It shall be unlawful for any person so using such property to refuse or fail to leave such property upon being requested to leave by the owner, operator or agent thereof.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person without the permission of the owner, operator or agent of privately operated business premises which are open to the general public to enter upon such premises within forty–eight (48) hours after having been requested by the owner, operator or agent thereof to leave therefrom pursuant to the provisions of subdivision (a).
(c) Exceptions. The provisions of this section shall not apply in any of the following instances:
(1) Where their application results in or is coupled with an act prohibited by the Unruh Civil Rights Act or any other provisions of law relating to prohibited discrimination against any person on account of color, race, religion, sex, creed, ancestry or national origin;
(2) Where their application would result in an interference with or inhibition of peaceful picketing directed toward the business establishment, lawful labor activities, or peaceful political activities;
(3) Where their application results in or is coupled with an act prohibited by Section 365 of the California Penal Code or any other provision of law relating to duties of innkeepers and common carriers;
(4) Where the person who is upon the privately operated business premises which are open to the general public is present under claim or color of legal right. This exception is applicable to situations wherein public officials are present in the course of their official duties and to situations involving disputes wherein the participants have available to them practical and effective civil remedies such as: marital and post–marital disputes; child custody or visitations disputes; disputes regarding title to or rights in legal property; landlord–tenant disputes; disputes between members of the same family or between persons residing upon the property concerned up until the time of the dispute; business–type disputes such as those between partners; debtor–creditor disputes; and instances wherein the person claims a right to be present pursuant to order, decree or process of a court.
- GA notes -- will be sent as a separate email blast, when available.
- Hunger Strike -- John Kenney continues his hunger strike, now in day 13. He is requesting that the City come to the table and discuss the right of Occupy San Diego to conduct protests in the form of an encampment. John is now sick and I am starting to worry about his health.
- MAYOR TO DO A Q & A WITH SAN DIEGO GENERAL PUBLIC: The public is invited to submit questions at any time between now and the end of the program on Nov. 29. The Mayor will answer as many questions as possible during the live program.
- EVERYONE who can send an email, please send questions to the mayor ASAP: email@example.com
- Sign the petition to the City Council here: Occupy San Diego
- All Occupy San Diego Media -- Visit this web page to review all prior media collected for email blasts.
- In the Beginning -- Video on Occupy focusing on Occupy San Diego
- Clairemont Bridge Occupation -- 17 Nov 2011
- Former U.S. Poet Laureate Robert Hass Beaten At Occupy Berkeley
- Robert Hass is a professor of poetry and poetics at the University of California, Berkeley, and former poet laureate of the United States.
- About Pepper Spray
- Video of Nov 17 meeting of Reinvestment Task Force -- Video of meeting on Nov 17, 2011 of Reinvestment task Force. This public meeting is a very important place for Occupy to engage, as it has banks sitting around a table. We noticed that no credit unions or local banks were represented. Tony Young, well what can I say, you have to watch it. Agenda and Background
All Occupy San Diego Announcements to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
Unless noted, all events are at "Freedom Square" (the San Diego Civic Center Plaza, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
- Occupy San Diego Calendar -- Month-at-a-glance format with all planned events shown.
- Occupy San Diego Events -- list of all events, past and present, listed in the email blast, with detailed information. (Edit this to add events)
- 21 Nov 2011 - (8a) - Occupy Cafe Conference Call -- http://tinyurl.com/77qfmro -- Intends to help coordination between various occupations.
- 22 Nov 2011 - (2:30p) - Court Hearing on TRO (Temp. Restraining Order) regarding Municipal Code 54.0110 -- federal district court with Judge William Hayes in Courtroom 4 (Fourth Floor). The court is located on 940 Front Street (between Broadway and F Street). Read lawsuit documents Note: No signs, slogans, T-shirts with slogans, video/still cameras, audio recorders, allowed. All cell phones must be off. We need appropriate apparel, suits and ties are best.
- 22 Nov 2011 - (6:00p-9:00p) - Civil disobedience workshop and training, Hal Brody of the Peace Resource Center of San Diego, 3850 Westgate Place, San Diego, CA 92105 To RSVP/more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 23 Nov 2011 - Occupy Your Corner -- Occupy Your Street Corner esp. at lunch or at any time and on any corner.
- 25 Nov 2011 - (11a) -- Black Friday Flash Mob -- Meet at Kearny Mesa Transit Center, Clairemont Mesa Blvd at SR 163 -- Actual location will be disclosed after we meet. Will need transportation to help with anyone who takes transit to this location as our target is off site.
- 25 Nov 2011 - (4pm) -- Protest during the busiest shopping day of year : Black Friday -- Details -- Balboa and Genesee intersection, Clairemont, SD.
- Call to all overworked underpaid masses, indebted students, struggling parents, the unemployed, the foreclosed upon, the retirees that never could retire, the veterans/active duty and their families, all activists and fellow occupiers !!! The time has come to renew our Occupy message and take it to the center of San Diego! It's Black Friday : Welcome to Corporate Greed at its finest. Let's send a clear, orderly, peaceful yet undeniably strong message to Corporate America that we will not be brainwashed consumers, all while our economy and livelihood has been battered by the actions of the reckless wall street investors, banks, corporations, and government !
- Why this location and time ?
- Balboa and Genessee is the busiest intersection in Central San Diego, with busy shopping centers.
- It is also one of the top 5 busiest Intersections in ALL of San Diego County!
- Established residential, commercial hit hard by Foreclosures
- Less than 1 mile from Mesa College ( STUDENTS, plan to organize march to join us)
- Plenty of parking @ adjacent shopping centers
- Easy access from Hwy163, I-805, I-5, Hwy52
- Plenty of room for a large crowd.
- Massive shopping traffic / high visibility to Black Friday & normal Friday rush hour.
- (This is not an encampment, just a temporary protest.)
- We need to fill this intersection to the brim. The ONLY way is to make this event VIRAL. Share it on your personal walls, share this with everyone you know. We are all in this together. Flyers will be posted all around that area. Bring your signs, your bullhorns, and your well rested voices, OCCUPY!
- 12 Dec 2011 - (6p) Black Friday march through the Gas Lamp and around Horton Plaza! BRING A FRIEND!
- 12 Dec 2011 - (THIS EVENT STILL BEING DISCUSSED.) Shut Down the Port! In solidarity with Occupy Oakland and Occupy Los Angeles, everyone on the west coast will be shutting down all ports. More details to follow. Check out the plan of action at Occupy Oakland
- 14 Dec 2011 - (7p) -- Occupy SD benefit concert featuring Liquid Blue and other music and speakers at The Ruby Room, 1271 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
- $5 cover charge. ALL proceeds go to OSD.
- This is a chance for everyone to support the movement. Invite your friends and others who might not be in a position to "occupy" on a regular basis but believe in the cause. All music will be socially conscious. Featuring originals as well as classic protest songs from the likes of Dylan, Springsteen, Lennon, Green Day and more.
- About Liquid Blue - The world's most traveled band has performed in 115 countries. Their recent Top-10 Billboard dance hit, Earth Passport is a song about world peace and features vocals in nine languages. The band is the first and only "certified green" act in San Diego and have a long history of activism.
- Occupy North County
- Regular Events: Saturdays, Highway 101 & Encinitas Blvd, starting at noon.
- 12:00 PM - Teach in, orientation and committee meetings
- 1:00 PM- RALLY
- 2:00 PM - General Assembly
- Occupy Oceanside
- Occupy Escondido
- Organizing & they are talking about occupying soon. They meet twice a week for now, but the days and times change.
- They want more input on the next meeting on their FB page
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- email@example.com / 760-540-5088
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
- Occupy Together
- Interoccupy Group Consensus Proposal -- proposes a mechanism for accepting proposals for processing so as to reach global consensus.
- National Occupy Conference Calls: There are weekly conference calls between Occupy sites. We need reps from appropriate committees to join in the conference call. Unfortunately, it is Monday at 7pm, our GA time.
- Links to live streams of many occupy sites: http://www.occupystreams.org/
- Education Committee website http://www.osdedu.com]]
- Facebook Community Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-San-Diego/198003106936678
- Facebook Group Page: http://www.facebook.com/OccupySanDiego
- Facebook group page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/164668860284106/
- http://occupysandiego.org/ -- (OB Rag site.)
- http://occupysandiegoca.wordpress.com/ -- News
- http://occupysd.weebly.com/ -- Backup website
- Summary of our march on Oct 7, by Alternate Focus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNT3ZEuaxY
- Live video stream: http://www.livestream.com/occupysandiegolivefeed
- Occupy "Celly" Text Blaster:
- Sign up and get text messages whenever anyone else on the list sends one, like an email discussion list.
- To Join just text @occupysd to 23559
- Description of the service: http://textoccupy.com/about
- List of all the Occupy sites that are using the service, which they call CELLS: http://textoccupy.com/
- Web page for our CELL, which is called @occupysd: http://textoccupy.com/occupysd
- List of the SMS commands the service uses: http://cel.ly/commands
- VARIOUS FLIERS are available at this link (Thank you to Julie A. Kramer) -- http://www.julieannakramer.com/OSD.html
- http://www.movementforademocraticsociety.org -- Movement for a Democratic Society (MDS) has some interesting ideas for Occupy Movement.
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org (Media Committee Member)
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
DISCLAIMER! Although we will do our best to make sure this list of events is accurate, changes may occur frequently! Please check your email daily to make sure and also the various web sites.
Edited by Ray Lutz with help from Email Blast Team.
Monday, November 21, 2011
[SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update for 11/21
- ► 2017 (234)
- ► 2016 (256)
- ► 2015 (428)
- ► 2014 (498)
- ► 2013 (458)
- ► 2012 (399)
- [SDCPJ] Liquid Blue Benefit for OSD December 14
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update 11/30 & 12/01...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: We are looking for a wheel chair for J...
- [SDCPJ] PLEASE From Monique Verdin: Please sign th...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Special Note... Out ...
- [SDCPJ] Civil Disobedience trainings
- [SDCPJ] Ray Lutz out of jail
- [SDCPJ] Voting registration will resume 10 a.m. We...
- [SDCPJ] Occupy LA Evition notice and more
- [SDCPJ] Press conference 7:30 p.m. tonight (Tues.)...
- [SDCPJ] Support local activist groups at the Peace...
- [SDCPJ] Photos, Ray Lutz registering voter/arrest
- [SDCPJ] Ray Lutz arrested at Civic Ctr. for settin...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update 11/29
- [SDCPJ] Calling all cyclists! Occupy San Diego Rid...
- [SDCPJ] Interview with Scott Olsen on his release ...
- [SDCPJ] SWAT Teams Meet in San Diego; Is Occupy on...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update 11/28
- [SDCPJ] ALERT! Senate to vote on military locknup ...
- [SDCPJ] Agenda: SDCPJ, Monday, 11/28, 7 PM
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update 11/27
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] OCCUPY UPDATE 11/26
- [SDCPJ] Peaceful protest and police--UT Opinion 11...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update 11/25
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update 11//24
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy SD Special
- [SDCPJ] "Inside Job" the movie; watch online for f...
- [SDCPJ] LLTV on YouTube
- [SDCPJ] Occupy San Diego Update 11/23/11
- [SDCPJ] The Turning Point: The Moral Example of UC...
- [SDCPJ] Black Friday or Buy Nothing Day?
- [SDCPJ] Occupy SD Update 11/22/11
- [SDCPJ] Militarization of Campus Police
- [SDCPJ] No War, No Warming - Activist San Diego Pr...
- [SDCPJ] Occupy 2011 The Art of a Movement Photo Di...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] OCCU-PIE tonight at 5:30p
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update for 11/21
- [SDCPJ] Former U.S. Poet Laureate Beaten at Occupy...
- [SDCPJ] FB link for coordinating food for/with OSD...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] ALERT ARRESTS NOW AT PLAZA
- [SDCPJ] Join in calling for resignation of UC Davi...
- [SDCPJ] Fw: [OccupySD] Occupy Update for 11/20
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)